NOVA Adventures

Take an Adventure through your computer.

Bill Yates

My photo
Seek the truth of history, as without evidence it's just words in a book...

Monday, November 25, 2013

450 Million Year Old Fossil Used to Make a Native American Necklace


This a Crinoid fossil that Native American's turned into a necklaces. I was working on a deep auger, Geo-Morphology project and found about fifty of these. They varied in size from about 3 cm to 1/4 cm. In the middle of each of them was a carefully drilled hole. I also found two pieces of twisted bone. Both measured about 8 cm in length. After doing some research I discovered this would have been the center piece. The Crinoid beads would be arranged from widest in the center and smallest near the shoulders. The area I was working in had been a mound but, an idiot farmer bulldozed it. He decided he needed a new metal barn and didn't give a crap about the history he was destroying.
This a 450 million years Crinoid fossil that Native American's turned into a necklace. I was working on a deep auger, Geo-Morphology project and found about fifty of these. They varied in size from about 3 cm to 1/4 cm. In the middle of each of them was a carefully drilled hole. 

I also found two pieces of twisted bone. Both measured about 8 cm in length. After doing some research I discovered this would have been the centerpiece. The Crinoid beads would be arranged from widest in the center and smallest near the shoulders. 

The area I was working in had been a mound but an idiot farmer bulldozed it. He decided he needed a new metal barn and didn't give a crap about the history he was destroying.


No comments:

Post a Comment